Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tasty Tuesday

I remember seeing this blog carnival somewhere but I can't remember or I would like you back to it. I am going to try to start making a habit of posting a tasty recipe each Tuesday.
I made this wonderful comfort dish last night. I am looking forward to the leftovers for lunch today! I took a recipe I had found, tweeked it for our taste and also tried to make it healthy. My husband said that it was better than Cracker Barrel's chicken and dumplings (which was a huge compliment to me!). Also, this is a very checkbook friendly recipe. You could easily serve 6-7 (Jay and I both had 2 bowls last night and there were enough for leftovers today) with this recipe and I only spent $8.50 on the ingredients. Let me know if you try it!

Chicken and Dumplings with Mushrooms
1 32oz Low Sodium, Fat Free Chicken Stock

1 small can of Low Sodium Cream of Mushroom Soup (If you don't like mushrooms, use cream of chicken soup)

1 Can of Pillsbury Flakey Layer Biscuits (10 count--I used the homestyle)

1/3 a cup of Flour

2 Cups of Water

2-3 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Salt and Pepper to Taste
A dash of Garlic Powder


In a large saucepan, heat the chicken stock and water until boiling. Once boiling, add the chicken in and let poach for about 5-6 minutes (until the chicken is white and firm--don't over cook!). Remove the chicken and bring the liquid back to a boil. Once boiling, wisk in the cream of mushroom soup. Let the liquid return to a boil, once boiling turn the heat down to medium.
Open your can of biscuits and seperate each biscuit into 2-3 layers. Tear each layer into 4 pieces. Dip the pieces in flour and then add them to the liquid. After all of the biscuits have been added, let it simmer for 10 minutes. Gently stir often. At this point, you can season the broth with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. While the liquid is simmering, chop the cooked chicken into bite sized pieces. Return the chicken to the liquid and turn the heat to low. Simmer on low for atleast 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

This was a very easy recipe and makes a lot of food. It would be great on a cold night!

In Prissy news, she got to go shopping for the first time last night. We took her to Petsmart and she loved it. She came away with a couple of new toys, a crate, and a soft bed. Maybe her name should be Princess instead of Prissy! She is such a sweet puppy!!!

4 comments:

penny said...

well...i miss your cooking... random lunches for two...:)

Bailey said...

I can't wait to try it! I love chicken and dumplings, but never make them because I'm scared they won't be as good as my Grandma used to make!! I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Bailey said...

I made this over the weekend for Eric, myself, Collin and Eric's parents. It was a hit!! Thanks for sharing, it was so good :)

Holly said...

Yay!!! I'm glad you tried it and liked it!