Sunday, March 15, 2009

Fondant Fun

It has been a while since I last posted. Sorry! Lots going on....
I said I would provide an explanation of the Ace of Cakes? pictures.

My friend Penny and I have been talking about decorating cakes for a few months now. A couple of weeks ago, we decided to stop planning and finally get our hands dirty making fondant. It was a blast! I made homemade marshmallow fondant and she made classic rolled fondant. They both tasted good (extremely sweet) and were easy to work with. We agreed though that the marshmallow fondant was easier to make and made more. Here are a few pictures from our adventure.

I made my marshmallow fondant at home using my trusty Kitchen Aid mixer. I knew better than to put all 8 cups of powdered sugar in at the beginning but I was afraid that the melted marshmallows would stick to the bowl. So, I decided that 5 cups of powdered sugar would be a good starting amount. WRONG, I turned the mixer on the lowest speed possible and powdered sugar flew EVERYWHERE. But, the fondant eventually came together and looked so pretty and white.

I made my way to Penny's house to decorate our cakes. Look how pretty we made her island look! Instead of using flour like you would for cookies or pie crust, you use lots of powdered sugar and Crisco to make sure your fondant rolls out smoothly and doesn't stick.

This was after I had rolled out the blue for my ribbon. I LOVE this color blue. For each color we took our plain white fondant and used color gel to get just the right color. On the other side of the island you can see some of the hot pink fondant we used on Penny's cake.

We used a special fondant cutter to cut rows and rows of hot pink fondant for Penny's pretty cake.

We didn't buy purple coloring gel, so we got adventurous and mixed blue and pink. After a lot of elbow grease, we ended up with a really pretty purple color.

These are a few pictures of my cake that we nicknamed the "Tiffany box" cake. It reminded me of my bridesmaid dresses. They were this color blue with white ribbons.



These are a few pictures of Penny's pretty cake. We were practicing a few ideas for Penny's daughter's birthday cake. Isn't it cute!

In the end, we were very proud of our cakes. I was really impressed with how they turned out for our first time. We are planning to get together again over spring break to try a couple of new ideas. I can't wait!

No comments: