Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ramblings

Live

Just a few ramblings to share...

I just finished reading The Shack this week. It was an interesting book. I really enjoyed it and found myself getting lost in the book and lost in deep thought. The vision of seeing God as a black female answering to the name of Papa amused me but the more I thought about it..why not. No one ever said that God had to be an old, white bearded man. I will be honest though, I can't decide if the book is true or not. It is written as if it is a true story, but when I researched some of the details, the only information I can find is about the book. It got me thinking about a lot of stuff. I don't necessarily agree with everything the book suggested but it did get me thinking about my own spiritual beliefs. How cool would it be though to sit on a dock, beside a lake, beneath a mountain, and look up at a star filled sky and talk to Jesus. But the more I think about it, I have done such a thing. I have sat in a chigger bowl (open grassy field), on a campsite, beneath a mountain, and looked up at a clear and star filled sky and felt the love of God surround me. But I digress...if you are looking for a book to read, try The Shack by William Young.


I absolutely love my class this year. I have 18 second graders who are full of life and every day with them is a new adventure. Each one is so different and unique and has so much to offer our group. This afternoon we were talking about potential and kinetic energy (a pretty abstract topic for 7/8 year olds). Well I pulled out an old fashioned metal slinky. My kids were amazed by this small toy of twisted metal. We spent 30 minutes talking about potential and kinetic energy and then building a staircase out of science books so that we could watch the Slinky "walk down stairs". I love getting to make science fun and sharing new (well an old toy) things with them.

I am so excited that it is almost fall. Fall is my favorite time of the year. I love watching the leaves change colors; the crisp chill in the air (when it is warm during the day and cool at night); the smells of cinnamon, pumpkin, and campfire; and getting to pull out my favorite fall clothes. My favorite holiday also happens in the fall, Thanksgiving. Welcome fall!

So thats my share of ramblings for tonight.

No comments: